With just two days left in 2011 I have joined the masses in counting down my top moments of the year. In my previous article I began my countdown of the top with spots ten through six featuring various golf products and experiences throughout the year. As we approach 2012, here are the top five moments of 2011.
5. Golf in Ocean City, Maryland: In March I took a trip with my buddy from 999 Places to visit the Harrison Group in Ocean City. The experience was incredible and when it came time for our group to take the annual golf trip we decided to return. If you haven't been to Ocean City to play golf, I highly recommend it. The picture above is from the 17th hole at Eagle's Landing.
4. The Golf Club Radio Show: This happened just days ago but was easily one of my favorites of 2011. I was invited by Danielle Tucker (@TheGolfClub), host of The Golf Club Radio Show, to be on her Christmas Eve show celebrating their 14th Anniversary. While I was thrilled to talk Social Media and golf, the real treat was to be on the show with some great guests. The list included PGA Tour winner Gary Woodland (@GaryWoodland), Back 9 Network executive John Raser (@JohnRaser), and Texas Links Magazine editor Mark Button (@Mark_Button). It was a great experience and hope to be invited back in the future!
3. Luke Donald Retweets My Article: In an effort to give fans a say on who should be Golf's Player of the Year in 2011 I turned to Social Media. Votes poured in through Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and my blog and eventually Luke Donald was crowned champion earning 57% of the votes. As I shared the results via Twitter, Luke Donald (@LukeDonald) was kind enough to retweet it. It was great of him to share it with his fans and it was fun for me to see how powerful a retweet can be.
2. Quoted In The USA Today Cover Story: This is related to WAM Marketing Solutions more than WAM Golf but being quoted in the cover story of USA Today is worthy of making the Top 10. Most people will be surprised that it's not number one but I have my reasons. While I'm thrilled to be quoted in the article, to have one of my clients, Jacobs Realty Group (@JacobsRealty), featured in the article brought just as much pride. I'm not sure how to top this in 2012 but I look forward to the challenge. You can read the article here in the WAM Enterprises Newsroom.
1. Carrano Scholarship Fund Golf Outing: I'm told the biggest challenge in starting a charity golf outing is getting people to attend the first year. When I was named chairman for outing, I took this concern very seriously and through the efforts of the golf committee and advisory board we managed to have 142 golfers sign up, nearly selling out our first event. Temperatures reached 105 degrees at Grassy Hilly Country Club (@GrassyHillCC) but they were incredible hosts and helped guide us to a successful first year. It's amazing what passionate people can do when they work towards a common goal and I look forward to the 2012 outing and beyond.
What was your top moment in 2011? What are you looking forward to in 2012? Leave a comment!